How to use Puffin
Basic Tools and Gestures
1. Open toolbar, more options and tabs #
Toolbar: Swipe your finger from right edge of screen to center.
More options: Swipe your finger from left edge of screen to center.
Add new tab: Click “+” icon from toolbar to add a new window. For iPhone user, please click “+” icon from tabs browsing view.
Browse tabs: Click tabs icon from toolbar or swipe your finger from bottom to center.
2. Texts selection / Image save #
Longpress on text to bring up text select kits. Longpress on image to bring up save menu option.
3. Scroll to top / bottom button #
Scroll the page down and “scroll-to-bottom” icon will show up. Scroll the page up and “scroll-to-top” icon will show up.
4. Keyboard #
Swipe from right edge to center to bring up toolbar, and click “Keyboard” icon.
5. Trackpad #
Swipe from right edge to center to bring up toolbar, and click “Mouse” icon.
6. Gamepad #
Swipe from right edge to center to bring up toolbar, and click “Game Pad” icon.
7. Video Reel #
Puffin will automatically detect device supported video formats, and show video reel icon and movie thumbnail for supported videos. Once you click the thumbnail, video will be played in full screen mode.
8. Theater Mode #
Swipe from right edge to center to bring up toolbar, and click “Theater” icon.
9. How to use add-ons for better reading and more! #
Go to the desirable web page first. Then, bring up your toolbar, and click “Add-ons” icon to the submenu. Click “Read Now”, and you will see the article has been reformatted to readable layout. Now we have translator, read-it-later, evernote and more. Please click “Edit” to add more add-ons.
10. How to download #
Puffin automatically download the file when need. You can also force Puffin to download a link by doing a long press and select “Save Link”. Then a dialog will prompt and ask that do you want to download the file to your device or Dropbox.
11. How to check download status and open downloaded files #
Swipe from right edge to center to bring up toolbar, and click “Download” icon. Then you can see the download progress.
To access files in your device, tap the completed record and then tap “Open in”.
To access files in your Dropbox, you need to use Dropbox’s app or visit Dropbox’s web page.
12. How to drag-n-drop #
One click and one longpress on target object. When a circle appear on your touch point, you can move finger to perform drag-n-drop movement. If your target object is small, please refer to “How to drag-n-drop with trackpad”.
13. How to drag-n-drop with trackpad #
Swipe from right edge to center to bring up toolbar, and click “Mouse” icon. Two fingers press on the trackpad and wait for mouse cursor changing into hand icon. Then hold at least one finger to perform drag-n-drop movement. It’s okay moving your fingers out of trackpad area.
14. How to do mouse right click #
Swipe from right edge to center to bring up toolbar, and click “mouse” icon. Two fingers click on the trackpad.
15. Find texts in page #
Swipe from left edge to center to bring up more options, and click “Find in Page” to search texts in current web page.
16. Mail page link #
Swipe from left edge to center to bring up more options, and click “Mail Link” to launch email editor.
17. How to change the color of topbar and sidebar #
Swipe from left edge to center to bring up more options, and click “Setting” to to the submenu. Then, click “Color Theme” option to change the color of topbar and sidebar.
18. How to change the wallpaper in homepage? #
Swipe from right edge to center to bring up toolbar, and click “home” icon. In “Most Visited” section, click settings to bring up submenu. Click “Set Wallpaper Picture” to change wallpaper to your desirable picture.
1. How to manage your home page #
Longpress on the bookmark tile to make it movable, and rearrange it to desirable place. You may delete the tile by moving it out of bookmark area.
2. Change/Restore your default home page #
Change default home page: Go to the desirable website first. Then, swipe from left edge to center to bring up more options, and click “Settings” to the submenu. Click “New Tab” and choose “Home Page”. Now each time your open new tab, Puffin will open this homepage by default.
3. Manage your bookmarks #
Go to the desirable web page first. Then, bring up your toolbar, and click “Bookmarks” icon to the submenu. Click “Add Bookmark” to add a new bookmark. You may click “edit” to rearrange the order.
4. Set default action for download (ask / always to device / always to dropbox) #
Puffin asks where you like to save download files. To change this, please go to “Settings” and change “Download to where” selection.
5. Password autofill setting #
Puffin asks whether you like to save password. To turn it off, please go to “Settings” and turn off “Save Password” option.
1. Turn-on Flash support #
Puffin shows Flash contents by default if the trial time is still available. To turn it off, please go to “Settings” and turn off “Flash Support” option.
2. Act as mobile browser or auto switch to desktop browser #
Puffin displays most website in desktop mode. To change this, please go to “Settings” and change “User Agent” option.
3. Open pages in overview mode #
Puffin displays web page in overview mode. To change this, please go to “Settings” and turn off “Open Pages in Overview” option.
4. Turn-on touch visual effect #
Each time you touch web page, Puffin will show a blue circle visual effect. To turn if off, please go to “Settings” and turn off “Touch visual effect”.
5. No Sound? Turn-on ignore mute switch #
When your device’s mute switch is on, you can still enable audio by turning on “ignore mute switch” option from “Settings”.
6. Clean History/Cache/Cookies/Password #
To clean history, cache, cookies, or saved passwords, please go to “Settings” and change corresponding options.
7. Clean all data (Please try this step when you cannot bring up Puffin app successfully) #
To clean all data, please go to iOS’s Settings and click Puffin. Then turn on “Erase all data” option.
8. Can I setup Puffin as my default browser #
Due to iOS limitation, all third-party browser apps cannot be the default browser. However, here is a trick to open current page in Puffin when you use Safari: Please long press on me and tap "Copy URL" and then paste the URL in Safari. Then follow the instructions in the page to finish the rest steps.
Fix my problem
1. I have no sound when I watch video #
Please make sure your device’s mute settings is off (Click here for more info). Or you can enable “Ignore Mute Switch” in Puffin’s settings.
2. Why sometimes Video Reel icon is enabled but sometimes it isn’t #
Some video formats can be played directly in Puffin client. Once Puffin detect this type of streams, it will activate the video reel button for use. However, there are some videos having proprietary formats, streaming or copyright-protection mechanisms. In these cases, Puffin will do video processing on server-side and deactivate the video reel button
3. The keyboard doesn’t show up when I click the input fields. What should I do? #
Puffin will automatically detect input fields and bring up keyboard. If it doesn’t, you can always bring up keyboard from toolbar.
4. Some websites say that I am not allowed to watch videos because my location is in different region. #
Puffin uses our servers in USA to improve the user experience. The side effect is that the websites receive Puffin’s servers IP rather than yours. Although Puffin passes your IP to websites via X-Forwarded-For, some websites don’t support this standard.
5. My Puffin is blocked by Firewall #
There are two common reasons: 1) Few countries apply tightly Internet access controls and block Puffin’s cloud servers. 2) Some corporations may setup restrictions on firewalls and Puffin’s cloud servers are blocked. In these cases, please consult with your IT department or Internet service provider to resolve it. There isn’t much we can do. If the symptom is different, please use "Send Feedback" and describe the connection issue and your country or region to help us identify the issue.
6. My Puffin crashes on some website or keep reconnecting. What can I do? #
Please use "Send Feedback" and describe the issue and your country or region to help us identify the issue.
7. How do I open downloaded files in my device? #
You need to install apps which know how to open the files in your device. For example, you can open PDF after installing iBooks. There are other apps such as Dropbox, GoodReader, Keynote can open images, music, videos, MS office and other format of files. Note that some of them are not free.
8. When enabling Sync-with-Chrome, I cannot sign in Google account and the error message said it's because I use two step verification. What should I do? #
- Please visit https://accounts.google.com and login.
- Click "Security" in the left menu, find the section "2-step verification" and click "Manage your application specific passwords".
- Scroll to the end of the page. Enter "Puffin" in the name field and click the button "Generate password". Then you will see a 16-character password.
- When you login Sync-with-Chrome, please use that 16 characters as your password.
9. When enabling Sync-with-Chrome, I cannot sign in Google account and the error message said "use Safari to login Google first to unlock the blocking". What should I do ? #
Google suspects that somebody is trying to login your account. Please use Safari on your device to login Google account first and follow Google's instruction. Then go back to Puffin and login again.
10. I would like to clear other device's "opened tab" records. What should I do? #
Please visit https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and login with your Google account. Then click "Stop and Clear". Note that this will clear all syned data of your Chrome and Puffin in Chrome sync servers. Your local data such as bookmarks on per device will not be affected.
11. More information about In-App purchase: #
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the App Store after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period